24-Hour Emergency Care for Your Pet
Canandaigua Veterinary Hospital is affiliated with a 24-hour emergency and specialty hospital. Veterinary Specialists & Emergency Services (VSES) is available to you 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Staffed by veterinarians and board-certified specialists, VSES is available to care for your pet should the need arise.
825 White Spruce Blvd.
Rochester, NY 14623
Phone: (585) 424-1277
First Aid for Your Pet
While administering first aid to your pet is not a substitute for professional care, it can be lifesaving in order to get your cat or dog to our hospital. The following information reviews basic first aid procedures for various emergency situations:
- Poison exposure/ingestion:
- If the product label instructs people to wash their hands with soap and water, then wash your pet's skin with soap and water, avoiding the eyes, mouth, and nose.
- If the label tells people to flush their skin/eyes with water, do this as soon as possible for your pet.
- Gently lay your pet on a flat surface for support.
- During transportation, use a board or other firm surface as a stretcher or use a throw rug or blanket as a sling.
- If possible, secure your pet to the stretcher, making sure to avoid the injured area. This may be as simple as wrapping a blanket around him/her.
- Unable to breathe:
- Open your pet's airway by gently grasping his/her tongue and pulling it forward. Check the throat for any foreign objects.
- Perform rescue breathing by holding your pet's mouth closed and breathing directly into his/her nose until you see the chest expand. Continue the rescue breathing once every 4 or 5 seconds.
- Please watch this video from the American Veterinary Medical Association for step-by-step instructions on how to administer CPR to your pet.